Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jerry Falwell: Farewell to a Legacy

I have watched much coverage of Jerry Falwell’s death and legacy. I did not agree with the uncritical who failed to see Falwell's divisive character. Nor do I agree with those who vehemently opposed him and attacked both his character and his faith.

Falwell was a man of faith and good intentions to do what is expected if a minister. He was a land mark in modern day Christianity. His significance cannot be denied.

I did not agree Jerry Falwell's theology or politics,[the local Christian Coalition never supported my candidacy for office ; > ) ] yet I mourn the passing of one of my fellow human beings. All those with a heart for love must do the same. Here we have a perfect example of the Christ ethic - we must love our enemies, we must pray for those that persecuted us.

Jerry Falwell was devoted to his ministry. His greatest legacy will probably be Liberty University. Sports pages in news papers are covering his devotion to sports. He could probably cheer louder than any fan for his LU sports teams. His former students called him Jerry, not Dr. Falwell. He seemed like a man who was always available for any student's question.

Yes, he was flamboyant. However, I do not believe that he had that personality to bring attention to himself. After all, aren't most Baptist preachers prone to be the the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Sometime last year i was flipping channels on a Saturday evening and came across a Falwell broadcast. i can't remember the title of his message, but he had a powerpoint slide on the screen... "The three books, other than the Bible, that have had the biggest impact on my life."

#1 - My Utmost for His Highest, Chambers.
#2 - Five Vows for Spiritual Power, Tozer
#3 - ...

i can't remember his #3, but i was pretty shocked, thinking... my list is the same as his. How can we both be drawn by the same teaching about God, and yet become so radically different in what we believe we are to do and how we as Christians are to live in this world?

Sigh.