Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Shakespeare Taught Much About Insulting

While surfing the other day. I ran across some quotations from Shakespeare's plays that have the ability to put an advisary in his place. Some are quite straightforward in language. Just remember they are apart of the literature of our language.

Allow me to list a few for your consideration:

Thou cockered whoreson moldwarp!
Thou weedy hell-hated wagtail!
Thou whoreson impudent embossed rascal!
All from: Henry IV, part I

And from: As You Like It
Thou dankish dizzy-eyed varlot!
[Thou art] like the toad, ugly and venomous.

Hamlet gives us these:
Thou odiferous common-kissing mumble-news!
[Thou] appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours.

My favorite is from the Merchant of Venice:
[You] speak an infinite deal of nothing.

Before I am accusted of saying "an infinite deal of nothing" I best sign off.

Just remember that we do not have to curse to be creative in our insults.

No comments: