Saturday, May 26, 2007

THE YOUTH ARE THE ANSWER TO CHANGING WHAT IS UNACCEPTABLE

We Who are More Mature Must Give Them the Chance


In his remarks to the graduating students at Georgetown University, founder of Sojourners magazine, (http://www.beliefnet.com/blogs/godspolitics) Jim Wallis asked, “What's Acceptable? What's Possible? At first look, these are two very curious questions. Each new generation has a chance to alter two very basic definitions of realty in our world—what is acceptable and what is possible.

First, what is acceptable?

that 3 billion people in our world today live on less that $2 per day
that
more than 1 billion live on less than $1 per day
that the gap between the
life expectancy between the rich places and the poor places in the world is now
40 years
that 30,000 children globally will die today


Many of us don't really know that and have never really focused on the reality or even given it a second thought. We really don't have to care. So we tolerate it and keep looking the other way.
Then something changes. Something gets our attention; something goes deeper than before and grabs our heart, our soul, our spirit. Once we know the injustice, we can never really look back again. It is now unacceptable to us.


What we see now, offends our most basic values and violates our concept the common good, and requires us to take a stand. At this point, we have crossed the line of unacceptability. We have become intolerant of the injustice.


Rev. Wallis tells this story after making speeches about this subject.

I was in Minneapolis and, after speaking, was signing books. I looked up from the table and saw a very little girl who was next in line.” How old are you?” I asked. "I'm eleven," she said. I stopped the line; I wanted to know what she thought of what she had just heard. I asked her what she got from tonight. "Well…I think we are just going to have to change the world!” And, who is going to that I asked her with a smile.” I think people like me!" she replied. I told her story the next night in Tacoma, Washington. Sure enough, in the book signing line afterwards was another little girl who grinned at me and said, "Nine!” So I told both their stories the very next night in Seattle. There in line was the littlest girl of all. When she approached the table, she said, "I think I'm the youngest so far. I'm eight.” I couldn't help but ask this child what made sense to her tonight. She paused thoughtfully for a moment and then answered, "When you talked about that 'silent tsunami,' that is killing so many children every day because of poverty—children like me…I was just sitting there and started to think, if I'm a Christian, I better do something about that."


There is a great deal of both wisdom and hope in what those kids have to say to us.
Madison Smith said, “It makes me happy knowing that I’m doing something good.” As you, remember from Jeff Wirick’s story in The Times News on May 24, 2007 (http://www.thetimesnews.com/onset?id=2425&template=article.html). Madison made this comment about selling lemonade at the Hospice Flea Market to raise money for the Hospice Home where her grandmother spent her last days.
Madison Smith is an eleven year-old girl who sensed a need and found a way to help fill that need. Her acts of volunteerism and kindness reveal a spirit of the hope that we see in our young people. Madison is not much different from most kids. She is the pride and joy of her parents Jay and Geri Smith. Madison stepped out with courage that she could make a difference. She has done just that.


Today’s graduates and youth need to be allowed to think “out side the box.” I am confident the Geri and Jay Smith never told Madison that such a project was impossible. The thought of failure has probably never crossed her mind or those who know her. They need to learn to ask what can I do to make a difference. Today’s parents need to give their children a spiritual foundation with a concern not just for their selfishness, but for unselfish consideration of their fellow men.


We need a new generation of young activists talking about globalization, HIV/AIDS, reducing global poverty, and curing cancer. A spiritual foundation is necessary to change history. That's what's always made the difference - abolition of slavery, women's suffrage, civil rights. This will be no different.
The young people today are going to make the difference in finding the unacceptable and making it possible. The key is to believe that the world can be changed, because it is only that belief that ever changes the world. And if not us, who will believe?


What is possible? The eleventh chapter of the book of Hebrews says this: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Rev. Wallis suggested this paraphrase: Hope is believing in spite of the evidence, and then watching the evidence change.
We are thankful that God has placed young people like Madison Smith who:

No longer accepts the unacceptable.
Changes what is believed to be
possible.
And always makes the choice for hope.
Look out world, here
they
come!

Thank you, Madison, and God Bless You!


No comments: